Introduction to Thoroughbred Care & Exercise
Course due to commence 25th July 2022
Applications Now Open
Applications close on 24th June 2022
This course is suitable for anyone seeking to gain entry to pursue a career within the Thoroughbred Industry. Training options include Riding and Non-riding.
The course consists of a mandatory two week period of training, with the option to progress with training up to a six week period.
Learners on this programme will learn and develop skills to enable them to work within the Thoroughbred Industry .i.e. Racing Yard / Stud, whilst gaining a better understanding of the Thoroughbred Industry.
The training for this course is fully funded by Equuip, however some fees will apply for course booking, and accommodation (if required). Full details will be provided at interview.
- Flexible training (mandatory 2 weeks with option to extend to 6 weeks).
- Learn key skills required for a career in the Thoroughbred Industry.
- Riding and Non-riding options available.
- Transition from sport horse to racehorse riding.
- Some of the alternative courses and training offered at RACE would be suitable progression routes following completion of this course.
Who Can Apply
- You must be 18 years of age to be eligible for this course.
- You must be able to communicate effectively in English (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have an interest in working with horses as a career and a reasonable level of physical fitness
- Prior equine experience is required for riding option, but not a pre-requisite for groundwork option, but would be an advantage.
- A good level of riding ability is required for the riding option, but prior experience of riding racehorses is not a pre-requisite.
- Commitment to working within the Thoroughbred Industry in Ireland for a minimum of 12 months is required.
How To Apply
To apply, complete the Application Form
You must complete the Medical Questionnaire as part of your application for this course.
- Once an application is received, you will be contacted for interview (via zoom). Interviews will take place on the week commencing 20th June 2022.
- If successful at interview, you will be allocated to an assessment date for the course. These assessments include a fitness assessment and riding assessment (only for riding applications). Assessment dates are allocated on:
- Saturday, 2nd July 2022
- Saturday, 9th July 2022
- Fitness assessment target guidelines:
- Chin Hold (above bar) - 30 seconds
- Push Ups (on knees) - 40 in 1 minute
- Wall Squat - 2 minutes
- Plank - 2 minutes
Working in the Thoroughbred Industry involves a high level of physical activity and therefore candidates should be fit and leading active lives. If you have a diagnosed medical condition you MUST inform RACE ahead of assessment for this course. There is a standard medical questionnaire that must be completed as part of the application submitted (see link above).