Introduction to Thoroughbred Care & Exercise
Course due to commence 17th July 2023
Applications Now Open
Applications close on 9th June 2023
This course is suitable for anyone seeking to gain entry to pursue a career within the Thoroughbred Industry.
The course is delivered over 6 weeks.
Learners on this programme will learn and develop skills to enable them to work within the Thoroughbred Industry .i.e. Racing Yard , whilst gaining a better understanding of the Thoroughbred Industry.
The training for this course is fully funded by Equuip, however some fees will apply for course booking, and accommodation (if required).
- Registration fee is set at €300.00
- Accommodation is separate - €150.00 a week (subsidised rate)
Full details will be provided at interview.
- Learn key skills required for a career in the Thoroughbred Industry.
- Transition from sport horse to racehorse riding.
- Some of the alternative courses and training offered at RACE would be suitable progression routes following completion of this course.
- QQI Level 5 certificated in Racehorse Care and Exercise
- Additional certificates in Manual Handling and Equine Transport
- Limited places available
- Accommodation options available
Who Can Apply
- You must be 18 years of age to be eligible for this course.
- You must be able to communicate effectively in English (listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have an interest in working with horses as a career and a reasonable level of physical fitness
- Prior equine experience is required.
- Commitment to working within the Thoroughbred Industry in Ireland for a minimum of 12 months is required.
How To Apply
To apply, complete the Application Form
You must complete the Medical Questionnaire as part of your application for this course.
- Once an application is received, you will be contacted for interview (via zoom).
- If successful at interview, you will be allocated to an assessment date for the course. These assessments include a fitness assessment and riding assessment . Assessment dates are allocated on:
- Thursday, 11th May 2023
- Wednesday, 24th May 2023
- Wednesday, 7th June 2023
- Saturday, 10th June 2023
- Fitness assessment target guidelines:
- Chin Hold (above bar) - 30 seconds
- Push Ups (on knees) - 40 in 1 minute
- Wall Squat - 2 minutes
- Plank - 2 minutes
Working in the Thoroughbred Industry involves a high level of physical activity and therefore candidates should be fit and leading active lives. If you have a diagnosed medical condition you MUST inform RACE ahead of assessment for this course. There is a standard medical questionnaire that must be completed as part of the application submitted (see link above).